Get Clearer, Smoother,
Acne doesn’t have to control your life. If you’re tired of suffering harsh chemicals, painful extractions, or even home experiments in the fight to tame your acne, then Chicago Skin Clinic can help.
Dr. Danny Del Campo and Dr. Danilo Del Campo will develop a treatment plan customized to your unique needs based on the severity of your acne, the type of acne lesions, and your medical history so that you can treat, control, and prevent acne breakouts.
What Is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition that includes blocked pores (blackheads and whiteheads), pimples, and deeper lumps (cysts or nodules) that can appear typically on your face, neck, chest, back, shoulders, and upper arms.
In addition to these symptoms, you may experience other significant physical and psychological side effects associated with acne, such as permanent scarring, poor self-image, depression, and anxiety.
Who Gets Acne?
If you’re suffering from acne, you’re not alone. Acne affects nearly 85% of all people at some point in their lives. While not life-threatening, acne can cause physical disfigurement — such as scarring — and emotional distress.
Why Does Acne Occur?
Acne is a common skin condition caused by various factors. At Chicago Skin Clinic, we understand the importance of addressing the underlying causes of acne to provide effective treatment and long-lasting results.
Here are some of the factors contributing to acne breakouts:
- Hormones: Hormonal changes, particularly during adolescence, can trigger acne. Increased levels of androgens can stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce excess oil, leading to clogged pores and the development of acne.
- Sweating/friction: Excessive sweating, coupled with friction from tight clothing or sports equipment, can create a favorable environment for acne-causing bacteria to thrive. This can lead to inflammation and the formation of acne lesions, especially on areas such as your face, back, and chest.
- Stress: Stress can worsen existing acne or trigger breakouts. Stress hormones can stimulate the sebaceous glands and contribute to increased oil production, leading to clogged pores and the formation of acne.
- Exposure to certain substances: Certain substances, such as oily or greasy skincare products, heavy makeup, and some medications, can clog pores and contribute to acne development. It is important to choose non-comedogenic (non-pore-clogging) products and avoid pore-clogging ingredients.
- Genetics: Genetics can play a role in acne development. If your parents or close family members have a history of acne, you may be more prone to experiencing it as well. Genetic factors can influence sebum production, pore size, and inflammatory response, all of which contribute to acne formation.
Understanding the causes of acne is crucial in developing a personalized treatment plan. At Chicago Skin Clinic, our experienced dermatologists, Dr. Danny Del Campo and Dr. Danilo Del Campo, will assess your skin condition, identify the underlying causes of your acne, and recommend effective treatment options tailored to your specific needs.
Acne Treatments at Chicago Skin Clinic
Our highly skilled dermatologists, Dr. Danny Del Campo and Dr. Danilo Del Campo, have dedicated themselves to helping you get clear and healthy skin. We offer a range of effective treatments to treat acne outbreaks and provide comprehensive care tailored to your specific needs.
Our dermatologists may prescribe topical medications that target acne-causing bacteria, reduce inflammation, and control excess oil production. These prescriptions can include topical retinoids, antibiotics, or combination formulations.
Topical treatments are typically applied directly to the affected areas of the skin and can be an effective first-line treatment for mild to moderate acne.
In cases of more severe or persistent acne, Dr. Danny Del Campo and Dr. Danilo Del Campo may recommend oral medications to control acne outbreaks from within.
Oral antibiotics can help reduce inflammation and kill acne-causing bacteria, while hormonal medications such as oral contraceptives or spironolactone can regulate hormone levels to improve acne.
For acne that is resistant to conventional treatments or requires a more aggressive approach, we offer various procedures that can help improve and control acne outbreaks:
- Laser therapy: Laser therapy, such as Smoothbeam and CLEARLight, can target the sebaceous glands and reduce their activity, resulting in decreased oil production and improvement in acne. The laser energy also stimulates collagen production, promoting skin rejuvenation and reducing the appearance of acne scars.
- Microneedling: Microneedling involves the use of a specialized device with tiny needles that create controlled micro-injuries in the skin. This process stimulates collagen production and enhances the penetration of topical medications, improving acne scars, and possibly reducing active acne.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels involve the application of a chemical solution to the skin, which exfoliates the outer layer and promotes the growth of new, healthier skin cells. Chemical peels can effectively reduce acne breakouts, minimize acne scars, and improve overall skin texture and tone.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure that uses a specialized device to gently exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin cells. This treatment can help unclog pores, may reduce acne breakouts, and may improve the overall appearance of the skin.
Schedule Your Acne Consultation Today
If you’re ready to take control of your acne, schedule a consultation at our Chicago office today. Dr. Danny Del Campo and Dr. Danilo Del Campo will assess your specific acne condition and recommend the most appropriate combination of treatments to effectively control and prevent acne outbreaks.
With our comprehensive approach, you can achieve clearer, healthier skin and regain your confidence.